EXPEDITIONS SKILLS MODULE
The Expedition Skills Module is an additional module available to walking leaders holding any of the Mountain Training qualifications, however is aimed generally at holders of the Lowland or Hill and Moorland Leader. It offers an opportunity to increase skills in various aspects of expeditions including training and assessing candidates to lead groups on multi day camping excursions in terrain and conditions within the scope of their respective leadership qualification.
This module is ideal for those involved with the Duke of Edinburgh Award due to the skills covered applying to expeditions using commercial campsites as well as wild camping (Scheme dependant).
When you register for either the Lowland Leader or Hill and Moorland Leader scheme you'll automatically be registered for the Expedition Skills Module.
To get started you need to meet the following prerequisites:
• You must check that you are registered for the module on the Candidate Management System (CMS)
• You must have passed a Lowland Leader or Hill and Moorland Leader assessment
• You must have logged an absolute minimum of 10 overnight camps; ideally in a variety of contexts
• You must have assisted with at least two group camps (these can be included in your 10 personal camps)
• You must have a valid 16 hours first aid certificate, relevant to your work as a walking leader
A copy of the Expedition Skills Module Handbook is available free to down load here